- Hyperlinks in
Google Docsmay be used to link to other websites or documents.
- To create a hyperlink in Google Docs on a computer, select the text and choose Insert Link from the toolbar.
- To create a link in the Google Docs mobile app, select the text and tap Insert link.
Hyperlinks are an essential part of almost any document, so it’s no surprise that Google Docs makes linking to websites a few clicks (or, if you’re editing on your mobile device, a few clicks).
Google Docs not only allows you to link to external websites, but also to other documents.
Here’s how to add a hyperlink on your computer or mobile device.
How to Create a Hyperlink in Google Docs Using a Computer
1. Open a document in Google Docs using a web browser.
2. Select the text you want to turn into a hyperlink.
3. Click it Insert a link in the toolbar (which looks like a link in a chain).
Quick advice: Instead of clicking the Insert Link button, you can also right-click the selected text and click Link in the drop-down menu.
4. In the pop-up Link dialog box, type or paste the URL you want to link to. The URL must be a valid web address, but you don’t need to include the “http://” part. For example, you can enter “businessinsider.com”. As a general rule though, it’s a good idea to copy and paste the URL from a web browser’s address bar, so you know the link is error-free.
5. Click on To apply to finish.
You can also display the link text box shown above by highlighting the text and pressing Command + K on a Mac computer or Control + K on a PC, then inserting your link in the same way.
If you need to change the URL later, you can click the link and choose an option from the pop-up menu. You can copy the URL, edit it, or delete it entirely.
How to Create a Hyperlink in Google Docs Using the Mobile App
1. Open a document in the Google Docs app on your iPhone or Android phone.
2. Select the text you want to turn into a hyperlink. A toolbar should automatically appear below the selected text.
3. Faucet Insert a link.
4. On the Insert Link page, type or paste the URL to which you want to link.
5. When you’re done, tap the checkmark in the top right of the screen.